Friday, January 13, 2012

Eating like a teenager? E's Story...

On December 12th, 2006, my best friend, Sam Cole, invited me to lunch, and again I had to hear the story of Weight Watcher's and what it did for him. With every sentence he spewed, I just nodded as I ate my heavily laden ranch dressing salad.

Suddenly he hit a nerve - I quote "why are you still eating like your a teenager, don't you want to see your grand kids one of these days?" Wow, I did still eat like teenager, but I no longer had the metabolism of one to help me melt away my bad decisions. So, now I'm paying attention! He had lost over 90 pounds and even ran a marathon.  I asked, "What did you do again?" He told me he just paid attention to what he was eating and "logged his points".  But Sam - I can't eat pre-package food (see I'm already looking for excuses), and he said - this isn't one of those programs - this let's you eat normal portion of normal foods.  As he spoke, I felt a condeming spotlight on my heavily laden Ranch dressing salad and my other bad food decision.

Ok, enough of the commercial, but to the point - I ate horrible and I felt horrible.  It was time for me to take control of food and not let food control me. I grew up (a little) and joined Weight Watchers. I was so happy and full of pride on the choice I had made to better myself and my future.  I couldn't wait to tell Ronna about my discovery and revelation.

*POP* - that was my balloon being popped by the very sharp needle of a wife that would not have anything to do with my endeavor.  If I wanted to pursue this, she told me, I would have to do it on my own.  My heart was broken, I told her by no means was I going to continue to eat myself into a grave, and my eating habits had to change because I was wanting a future with her.  I wanted to see our grandchildren grow up, and I didn't want to be burden to her and my family in the future - I was serious and she knew I was. She said I could do it by myself and she would help by selecting better foods for us, but she would have nothing to do with the program.

Of course, all I did was talk about the program and how many points/calories were in our favorite foods. After about a month of this, she proceeded to tell me she'd had enough of me always talking about Weight Watchers. I re-stated my plight - do you think I was joking about my health? She got my point from the sharp needle of a husband, and of course she joined the program the next day.

From that day forward, we teamed together and helped, loved, prayed, argued, encouraged, argued (yes - I said it twice on purpose), and inspired each other every step of the way. I can't speak for Ronna, but it was very easy to do once we got started, but the hardest part was taking that first step, the first step that eventually lead us to our Path of Purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment