Saturday, January 21, 2012

Treat your feet right!

Last time we blogged, we wrote about getting active and some things to help get you started.  One important component of working out, however, is taking care of your feet.  After all, what takes a large lump of the punishment when we walk, run, dance, etc., our feet of course.  And, if we don't take care of them correctly, they will let us know! 

I had the pleasure of buying a new pair of running shoes today, yippee! We keep a log of how many miles we put on our shoes, and when we get to the maximum number, 350-500 miles, we get fit for a new pair.  Get fit, you may ask?  Well, our retail store of choice is Run On!, but there are other stores, such as Luke's Locker, that are trained in looking at how you walk, run, and squat to determine what type of support your little piggies need.  For example, I have in the past, been an oversupponator, (turn my feet out when I run) but now my gait has leveled itself out and is neutral.  If I had not gone in to Run On! and had them fit me, I would not have known this.  On my own, I would have bought a shoe that was too supportive than what I actually need.   That could have caused injuries down the road that could have been prevented.  I am SUPER anxious to try my new shoes out now!

If you are planning to begin a workout routine, it is a good idea to visit Run On! or Luke's Locker to have them fit you in a shoe that will be the right amount of support and will be the fit that is best for you. 

Another aspect of taking care of your feet that we have found is cotton free socks.  Cotton can cause blisters when worn for long periods of time.  You can buy super expensive socks at specialty stores, but we have found cotton free socks at Wal-Mart and Target.  The trick is looking at the material list on the back of the packaging.  Find socks that have NO cotton in the materials list.

And, of course, one very important aspect of taking care of your feet when working out, that the women will especially like, is getting regular pedicures! Besides making your feet look beautiful, having someone attend to your feet and toes, especially the toe nails, and massage sore feet and lower leg muscles, will make a huge difference in the way they feel during and after a workout.

Here's to 10 little happy piggies!
Ronna and Eristeo

No comments:

Post a Comment